Introduction

My photo
Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
I am an adventurous guy, want to explore and discover new excitement in my life

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Being a BELLMAN

One of the hotel staff in a hotel in front office department is a bellman.

When you we say bellman, what comes into our mind? – is the one that carry bags from the guest, guiding the guest going to the room.

Is this position too small in this department?

I just observe while I was rendering my internship in one of the 5 star hotel in Singapore that they are treating bellman as one of the idiot guys who only work for a money and not by a career, or their attitude is only like this because we are Filipino.

I ask one of the concierge in the hotel which I render my internship that why is it that even if I am doing the right thing the DM (Duty Manager) is always mad at me, he want me to feel like I am an idiot person who don’t know how to work in this industry. You know what he told me?, he told me that maybe because you are a Filipino that’s why he is treating you like you don’t know what you are doing.

I studied for four years in Tourism and Hotel and Restaurant Management, I render my internship in different establishments in my hometown before I come to Singapore, yes I did not study in a prestigious international school for hospitality industry but the knowledge that I have learned from my institution was very helpful in my internship in Singapore.

I am not the only one who experience this kind of treatment in the hotel because my co-trainees who’s a Filipino also is experiencing this kind of treatment to some of the hotel staff, well not all of them but most of them.

Yes Singapore has many prostitute girls and gays that unfortunately my countrymen which we say they doesn’t have a good and descent job. But it is too discriminating in my part that they are generalizing the whole Filipino as idiots and low class persons.

I hope that this kind of mentality of some of the locals and foreign workers in Singapore will be change I hope that they will soon wake up and see Filipino staffs as good and professional to work with.

Because living in Singapore with this kind of discrimination is a very bad moment in my part.

No comments: